Terms & Conditions
The following sets out the conditions of use for the Books With Bite website, a brand website belonging to Hachette Children's Group. You may print these terms and conditions by pressing the print icon on your browser.
By using this site you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
We may update these terms and conditions at any time and you will be bound by any new terms and conditions when you visit the site.
If you do not agree to these site terms (including any amendments) you must not use this site.
Liability for accuracy and applicability
The information contained in this website is not comprehensive and, despite our efforts, it may not be accurate, up to date or applicable to the circumstances of any particular case.
We do not accept any liability for any inaccuracies or omissions (to the extent permitted by any applicable law) in this website and any decisions you make based on information contained in this website are your sole responsibility.
Neither Hachette Children’s Group nor any of its subsidiaries accept liability in contract or tort (including negligence) or otherwise for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or other losses or damages of whatsoever kind, whether or not foreseeable or in the contemplation of the parties, including but not limited to loss of profit or loss or damage to data, software or computer equipment arising out of access to, or the use of the this website or any information contained in it.
This site is aimed at those who access this website from the United Kingdom mainland.
Those who access this site from other locations are responsible for compliance with local laws if and to the extent that local laws are applicable.
Prices and availability
While Hachette Children’s Group makes every effort to ensure that information on its websites is accurate, this cannot be guaranteed. Prices displayed in our on-line catalogue and availability may change without prior notice.
Trademarks and copyright
All brand names, service names, product names, titles and copyright material used in or on this site are trade marks or copyright of their respective holders. No permission is given by Hachette Children’s Group or its subsidiaries for their use by any person other than such holders (except in the case of viewing the site from a personal computer or downloading material for personal non-commercial use) and such use may constitute an infringement of the holders’ rights.
Data Protection and Privacy
We may need to know your personal details including your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address to provide you with information or to reply to your queries. If you order goods, we may also require your credit card details (depending on your method of payment). We will not collect any personal information about you without your consent. We will take all reasonable precautions to ensure that all the personal data that you have submitted via the website remains confidential. As required by the Data Protection Act 1998 we have strict security procedures regarding the storage and disclosure of personal data. Hachette Children’s Group and subsidiary sites are secure sites with firewall protection, and all commerce via the site is protected using 128-bit SSL encryption.
We may pass information that you have given us to other companies within the Hachette Children’s Book Group of companies. We do not sell any personal information about our customers to third parties. However, we may release personal information if we acquire any new businesses and/or sell all or part of our business. (Personal information may be one of the business assets transferred to the purchaser).
Competition Terms and Conditions
(Specific competition terms and conditions can be found below this general section.)
1. These terms and conditions together with any specific rules set out in Competition Notices (as defined below) are the Competition Rules (Rules) and apply to competitions run by Hachette Children’s Group (Competition), unless otherwise expressly stated. By entering a competition, entrants agree to be bound by these Rules.
2. The Competition is organised by Hachette Children’s Group, a member of Hachette UK, Carmelite House, 50 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0DZ.
3. Rules specific to each Competition will be displayed. In the event of discrepancy between the main terms and individual competition conditions, the individual competition conditions shall prevail.
4. Hachette Children’s Group reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition, the Competition Notice or these Rules at any time without prior notice. Any changes will be posted either within the Competition Notice or these Rules.
5. In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, Competition Notice, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of Hachette Children’s Group shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
6. To qualify to enter the Competition you must be resident in the United Kingdom.
7. Employees of Hachette Children’s Group or any company involved in the Competition or any advertising agency or web company connected with Hachette Children’s Group or any such persons subsidiary or associated companies, agents or members of their families or households, are not eligible to enter the Competition. Hachette Children’s Group reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
8. Additional eligibility requirements may apply to specific Competitions, eg a valid passport, visas and/or drivers licence will be required if the Competition prize includes travel outside the United Kingdom and/or car hire.
9. By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete.
10. Hachette Children’s Group assumes (and you warrant that) that by entering the Competition either you have legal capacity to enter the Competition and agree to the Rules (ie that you are of sufficient age and mental capacity and are entitled to be legally bound in contract) or your parents have consented to your entry of the Competition and these Rules.
11. Hachette Children’s Group reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of these terms and conditions.
12. In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the Competition, Hachette Children’s Group in its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement contestant should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
13. By entering the Competition entrants agree to receive messages by email, SMS or post from Hachette Children’s Group. Entrants may unsubscribe from these messages at any time.
14. Only one entry per person per Competition is allowed.
15. Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
16. There is no purchase requirement to enter a Competition and there is no charge to register for use of the Hachette Children’s Group websites.
17. Where an offer is made for participation in a Competition involving a premium rate telephone call, the Competition Notice will include details of the estimated length of the call and its anticipated cost, and any other guidance to which Hachette Children’s Group must adhere in compliance with ICSTIS rules.
18. Proof of posting cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. Hachette Children’s Group cannot accept responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorised access to entries, or entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions, virus, bugs or other causes outside its control.
19. Entrants should note that unless stated otherwise, Hachette Children’s Group does not accept responsibility for the return of any Competition entries, including those consisting of artistic or other material.
20. Unless otherwise specified in the Competition Notice, prize winners will be chosen at random from all qualifying entries within 28 days of the closing date specified in the Competition Notice. If appropriate, tie-breakers will be judged by Hachette Children’s Group and, if required by law, by an independent adjudicator. In all matters, the decision of the judge(s) and Hachette Children’s Group shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
21. Prize winners will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification within the time stated therein may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. If more than one prize is awarded only one prize per entrant will be awarded.
22. Claims for prizes must be made in the manner and within the time specified on the Competition Notice. Failure to claim a prize within this time or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
23. Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. Hachette Children’s Group reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
24. Prizes are awarded at Hachette Children’s Group discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant.
25. All taxes, insurances, transfers, spending money and other expenses (including meals or personal expenses, upgrades, etc.) as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
Intellectual Property Rights
26. In consideration of Hachette Children’s Group agreeing to consider entrants to the Competition, each entrant hereby assigns to Hachette Children’s Group the complete copyright and all other rights in any entry, which shall be for the full period of copyright. Hachette Children’s Group shall be free to assign such rights to third parties.
27. Furthermore, any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You hereby warrant that the information which you submit and/or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening. If relevant, Hachette Children’s Group reserves the right, but not the obligation, to screen, filter and/or monitor information provided by you and to edit, refuse to distribute or remove the same.
28. Hachette Children’s Group cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the competition or as a result of accepting any prize. Hachette Children’s Group is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants or any other persons computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. Nothing shall exclude Hachette Children’s Group liability for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
Data Protection and Publicity
29. Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and Hachette Children’s Group reserves the right to use the names and addresses of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
30. Any personal data relating to entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the individuals prior consent.
31. The Competition and the terms and conditions of this agreement will be governed by English law.
Ally's Ambassadors promotion
1. No purchase necessary to sign up to this promotion.
2. Only one entry and one valid email address is allowed to be submitted per person.
3. All sign ups receive an automatic welcome email with a link to a bonus short story.
4. The first 100 sign ups to receive an ALL FALL DOWN proof copy will be confirmed via email by midnight on 8th December 2014 (GMT).
5. Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right to
(a) substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value
(b) in exceptional circumstances, amend or foreclose the promotion without notice.
6. No correspondence will be entered into. There is no cash alternative available.
7. This promotion is open to all UK and Eire residents, with the exception of employees of the Promoter, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
8. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter for any reason.
9. The winners of the January 2015 mission prizes will be notified via email no later than one week after the draw date. Winners must claim their prize within 14 working days of the Promoter sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
10. The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running this promotion, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this promotion, all entrants consent to the transfer of their personal data to the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this promotion and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
11. By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
12. The promoter is Hachette Children’s Group, Carmelite House, 50 Victoria Embankment, London EC47 0DZ.
While Hachette Children’s Group makes reasonable attempts to exclude viruses, worms, Trojans and other malicious or destructive computer code from its web sites and the web sites’ contents (including downloadable screen-savers), it cannot guarantee such exclusion. Hachette Children’s Group gives no assurance (whether express or implied), assumes no obligation and accepts no liability or responsibility in relation to such exclusion. You are strongly recommended to take all appropriate safeguards before using this web site or downloading any information or content from it.
Law and Jurisdiction
Your use of this website and downloads from it, and the operation of these terms and conditions, shall be governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. The English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute arising out of your use of this website save that any holder of any trade marks, copyrights or other intellectual property rights may take action in any appropriate jurisdiction to protect those rights. In the event that any or any part of the terms contained in these terms and conditions shall be determined by any competent authority to be invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent, such term shall to that extent be severed from the remaining terms which shall continue to be valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by any applicable law.
Requests to re-publish any of the Content and to use quotations or extracts from any book published by Hachette Children’s Group should be addressed to:
The Permissions Department
Hachette Children’s Group
50 Victoria Embankment
Hachette Children’s Group
Hodder & Stoughton Ltd: Reg No. 00651692 VAT: 205505305
The Watts Publishing Group Ltd: Reg No. 3911258 VAT: 752048149
50 Victoria Embankment
Tel: +44 (0)20 3122 6222